Last night I made an effort to get myself to bed by 9:00pm. I was about to fall asleep when our power went out in the neighborhood at 9:25pm. No biggie, but when it came back on an hour later, Sloane woke up (probably from the humidifier going back on). I tried to see if she'd go back to sleep. Nope. I decided it had been about 5 hours since she last fed, so that worked, and I was finally in bed by 11:00pm.
I spoke with Pat today and he asked if I was documenting things that were quirky, different, or the same about each child. Well, yes and no. So, that brings me to what I wanna talk about the interesting things about my kids similarities and differences. Where do I begin... first, I was noticing how Shannon is more demanding on me to put on her songs ("My songs!") in the car. Pat put together a CD for her of various children's music and some adult ones that she seemed to be attached to. One recently came on the radio, "I Don't Want to Wait" by Paula Cole. For those of you who don't know, it was the theme song to the old series, Dawson's Creek. I was/am a big fan (for some really weird reason). Well, it used to be on TBS as a rerun for a few years, and I was watching it all the time right before and after Shannon was born. Well, as she started to grow and appreciate music, this song would capture her attention and calm her. Eventually she used to sing along with it (she would stop anything she was doing and come over to the TV to sing). Well, when it came on the radio the other day, and she started singing along with it again. It was then that I wondered if Sloane will ever have a song that she will attach to. Only time will tell, I guess.
Then there are the little things, like Shannon seems to be the loud personality and Sloane seems to be a more quite, contemplative individual. Shannon needs more attention to get to bed, Sloane, not so much (I can pretty much lay her down and she will go to sleep on her own). Shannon seems to have mastered gross motor skills early or right on time, Sloane gives me the impression she will do when she wants to. Shannon wakes up at the drop of a pin noise, Sloane actually sleeps through the dog barking (most of the time). Shannon laughs very easily, and always has; Sloane laughs out loud only when she finds it really amusing, but will give you lots of smiles instead. Shannon's cooing and "talking" was so sweet that Pat gave it a nickname of "Angel talk." I wouldn't call Sloane's cooing and talking that, but it is still cute. Shannon was binkie addicted; Sloane wouldn't touch the thing. Shannon was a horrible car rider and was only quiet when asleep; Sloane, I have caught awake and asleep and you wouldn't know the difference in the car if you didn't have a mirror (let's hope that that continues). Sloane is becoming a lay in the crib to fall asleep baby; I got Shannon to that point, too. Sloane is not liking the start of feeding solids; Shannon took to it right away. Sloane loves to touch my chin, cheek and nose while feeding (relaxing); Shannon has always loved crossing her feet while either relaxing or eating.
So far, that is all my brain will let me blog right now, but I will add more as I come upon stuff in the future.
2 comments:
Am I the only one with a big dopey smile on my face right now after reading about the two cuties, Sloane and Shannon? I can totally picture them doing what you wrote, Mk. (As an English teacher I would write on your paper "Nice job on the sensory imagery.") I also love Pat's terminology for Shannon's cooing. Very cute. Can't wait to see them! Love, Susan
great report and yes, very descriptive.
Dawson's creek? Not a bad choice, however, I am particular to 90210 and it is on re-runs on the SOAP channel 5-7 M-F and on Sat/SUn during the morning! That was a favorite of mine during times at Nova - would go to the girls dorm on Wednesday nights for a watch party...
Post a Comment